Bob Danzig spent his childhood shuffling from one foster home to another, never quite belonging.
When he got his first job as an office boy at the Albany Times Union, the newspaper became his family. Encouraged by a caring boss, he spent three years in the Navy, went to college nights for five years; was awarded a Journalism fellowship to Stanford University; and nineteen years after walking in the door as an office boy, became Publisher of the Times Union.
Seven years later, he was named President of all Hearst Newspapers nationwide. In the next two decades, he led the 6,000 employee/colleague company to a renaissance of talent, strategic purpose, and 100 fold profit growth, earning him industry-wide respect for his innovative marketing leadership.
“Management is about today. Leadership is about tomorrow. Management is about the process. Leadership is about purpose.” – Bob Danzig
The Big Breakthrough
Transparency and candor with your employees, Bob says, goes a long way to earning their trust. He encourages fostering a culture that emphasizes talent, strategy, risk-taking. Doing so leads to success.
Book of the Day
- Today is Here – by Don Blanding
- Conversations with Bobby – by Bob Danzig
- The Leader Within You – by Bob Danzig
- Bob Danzig – Inspirational Author and Speaker
- Bob has written a number of books, many of which are in development as either potential TV shows or movies. He’s even working on another book right now. At 81 he shows no signs of slowing down. He’s passionate about a lot of things, not the least of which is life!
Insight of the Day
- Bob says to terminate adversity and terminate your ego. Don’t let adversity dictate your life.
John’s 3 Key Take-aways
- The importance of understanding the difference between management and leadership
- Don’t forget the little things – celebrate your employees
- Fire adversity and fire your ego!
Read the Transcript
You can download a complete transcript of this entire episode by clicking here.