Online marketing strategist, Perry Marshall, has made a huge difference in the evolution of the way businesses connect with their clients.
Having graduated with a degree in electrical engineering, Perry believed his career path to be that of an engineer. When he eventually was laid off and forced to go into sales to earn his living, he never thought it to be a blessing. But it was while in sales that Perry had an epiphany, and discovered what would become the ticket to a prosperous future—direct marketing.
Today Perry is a leading consultant and professional speaker, but he is most recognized for his highly acclaimed best-seller, 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More.
- Perry’s big breakthrough happened when he discovered Richard Koch’s book, The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less. After reading the book, Perry realized that marketing actually correlates to the law of physics; inside every 80/20 there is another 80/20, and so forth. Everything inside marketing and business has an 80/20 for an explanation. This realization fascinated Perry enough to become the primary influence on his current work with marketing and research.
- Perry has discovered the art of transforming time and work. An important aspect of being an entrepreneur is making space for serious thought and serious exploration. This space, according to Perry, requires that you must slow down. Frantic activity does not always translate into something accomplished.
App of the Day
Book of the Day
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More – by Perry Marshall
John’s 3 Key Take-aways
- Use emotional logic; that is, emotional logic rather than rational logic
- The 80/20 principle
- Star principle: on what does your business want to focus?
Read the Transcript
You can download a complete transcript of this entire episode by clicking here.